Friday, August 7, 2020

Dear Authors (from a reader and another author)

First off, we should understand that we are humans. We have our differences. Each of us has our own unique traits. We are in different situations. And depending on a lot of things, we can never make general statements about everyone. So, dear authors...

I understand you’re most likely busy writing. Been there. Sometimes, it does get hard to put down the pen (figuratively, so to speak).

Mystery and intriguing stuff. If your book or written work contains mystery or something intriguing, which could confuse readers and might make them misunderstand the purpose of the book, you might want to leave a message at the end of the book or something. Maybe not explain, because that would defeat the purpose of wanting your readers to think and demystify things by themselves, but for those who are seriously curious about what happened in the book, invite them to contact you and let them know you’re more than willing to answer or confirm their queries.

Social interaction. My minimum is liking posts, commenting, congratulating people on their milestones, or if there’s something I want to say on the topic, answer random questions… that kind of thing.

If you figure out a way to interact with others by posting topical questions, go ahead. Be sure to have time for it.

You’re also a reader, right? Most authors are. It’s rare for an author to not be an avid reader before they started writing. I understand exceptions, but they’re a small portion of the whole writing community.

Please don’t treat other authors and writers as competition. Even if they are. Technically. Especially the ones in the same genre. But it’s actually good to connect with them instead, and do swaps. Reading is much easier than writing. By the time you write another book, your reader would have read more books than you can count. Why not give another author a chance and introduce them to your readers? See if they would like to read the other author’s books while waiting for your next one.

Find one, two, three, or more authors and build rapport. Start a professional-personal relationship. Offer to review their books, or feature them and their works on your blog or website, do an author interview, complete with links to their books and author page.

I know, I know. Sometimes, as much as we want to do something good, there’s that underlying feeling of… envy? What if they benefit from this more than I would? For reasons such as their writing is better, their genre is more popular, what if my readers read theirs and lose interest in mine? Those kinds of thoughts.

We have to defeat that before we can enjoy helping out others, without thought to whoever will do better. I’ll be better than who I was yesterday.

I’ve seen a number of authors attacking others for no good reason. I understand they could be experienced and they’re imparting the lessons they learned, but it’s not a reason to do it in a rude way. Some writers may be young, but if they have a story to tell, who are you to say they will surely fail? Granted, I understand there are a lot of “aspiring” writers who haven’t nailed the basics yet, but don’t lump everyone in the same category. Give everyone a chance. Maybe they can do it. Maybe they have the skills. Don’t judge even before you read their output. Yeah?

And if you ever receive a critical comment, don’t be defensive or take offense. Digest it. Maybe there’s some truth in it. If you want to reply, craft a gentle explanation. Maybe admit what’s wrong. Ask for input. It could turn out to be helpful. I’ve experienced such things. I actually prefer them because it makes me think and evaluate my writings. If all you hear are praises, you could get lost in it. Sometimes, someone has to play the bad guy for you.

Other things.

If you ask for reviews, at least provide a free copy of the book. E-book is fine. As one article I’ve read stated: no reader owes us to read our book, just because you’re new and you can use the support. I’m at a point where I admit that if you want to build a following, and spread the reach of your name and titles to more people, you gotta offer them something. Maybe a sample, a free book, etc.

Newsletter. Please limit to once a week. I definitely unsubscribe if I get more than that. You’re not the only person I’m subscribed to. There are like 20+ others. Maybe more. Definitely more. Although your purpose is to build a community, connect with a reader, it does come across as a bit forced. I do feel like I’m going to run out of content if I do more than once a week. And I could also use that time to hone my craft in writing. Just saying.

Respect the work/s of others. Yes, you may be better than others, but you don’t have to treat them with contempt or disdain. Don’t squash their hopes. Be kind. Be a pillar of hope. Be supportive. Impart knowledge. Share your experiences. But kindly do so in a kind manner.

Be kind.

Alright, enjoy writing. Enjoy reading.

P.S. There’s more to say, but only this for now. Maybe another next month. Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Writing Community, What do you think about Reading Apps?

Reading apps? These are starting to proliferate. I see a lot of ads on Facebook and Instagram about them. I lost count. The companies mostly...